Jira tracks issues and projects.
Writing a good issue
Set an issue type
- Story — new feature (most common)
- Bug — fix an issue with an existing feature
- Epic — collection of related stories
- Task — sub-feature of a “story” (used rarely)
Write a simple title
- Fewer words are better. Add details in the task description.
- Use sentence casing (capitalize the first word and proper nouns only).
- Begin with “Add/Update/Change xyz” for stories.
- Begin with “Fix xyz” for bugs.
- Refer to features/modules in quotes for clarity (ex: Change permissions in “manage users”).
Write a detailed description
- Use the typography tools in Jira for readability (headings, lists, dividers).
- Edit the description freely. Pull important info out of comments, so it’s accurate and readable for anyone who needs a recap.
Add the following sections:
- Background — describe background info needed to assess the task
- Goal / Problem — describe the ideal outcome, requirements, specifictions
- Steps To Reproduce — include all necessary detail to repeat the case
- Questions — clarify what you don’t know
- Proposal — the potential solution
- Reference — additional info or links
Template for description:
h1. Background x h1. Goal x h1. Problem x h1. Steps To Reproduce # x # x # x h1. Questions x h1. Proposal x h1. Reference x
Set the priority
If unknown, leave blank.
Link existing issues
Use the correct relationship to specify what the link is.
Assign the task
- To yourself
- To someone else — “watch” the task if you want updates.
Set the epic
Pick the best fit.
Set the sprint
- Leave blank for the backlog.
- Or choose the current sprint.
Setup issue filters
Create two filters for each project to track tasks you’re actively and passively involved with.
GravDept: Project Name: Open
Track tasks assigned to you and unresolved:
assignee = currentUser() AND resolution = Unresolved AND project = "Something" ORDER BY id ASC
GravDept: Project Name: Watching
Track tasks not assigned to you and unresolved, but that you’re watching:
(assignee != currentUser() OR assignee is empty) AND watcher = currentUser() AND resolution = Unresolved AND project = "Something" ORDER BY id ASC
Dashboards give an overview of everything important to you. I suggest setting up a default dashboard, and a custom dashboard for each project.
Add these gadgets:
- Activity Stream
Project: Project Name
Add these gadgets:
- Filter Results (GravDept: Project Name: Open)
- Filter Results (GravDept: Project Name: Watching)
Note: Jira is stupid because gadget search doesn’t work. Click “Load all gadgets” first, then search for the “Filter Results” gadget.